Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Wingardium Leviosa!

I am embarrassed to openly admit I almost made it halfway through the first Harry Potter novel but couldn't bring myself to read any further. At the time, I was a Jane Austen reading, Romantic poetry loving, well, overall Romantic-- both hopeful and hopeless--and I couldn't be bothered with such Wizardry nonsense. Since then, my bookish interests have spanned many subjects, authors, time periods and species, though I still remain a die hard Romantic at heart. Since Sci-fi tickles my nerd bone, you'd think a world of magic and spells and brooms and quidditch would be amusing to me...but it leaves me less than enthused. I just don't get it. I know that my disinterest in Wizard schools and vapid teen Vampire love stories makes me anomalous slash lame, but I am who I am and I'm damn proud of it (can I get an "amen?!") I've read "Pride and Prejudice" exactly 8 times, and just recently lucked out on a first edition of "Sense and Sensibility" circa 1814, when Jane Austen's nom de plume was "A Lady," for $45 at a yard sale because the seller didn't know it was worth many thousands. Yes, I bask daily in the self-indulgent excitement of it when I wake up and see it on my book shelf in the morning and visualize the day I will swim in a pool of gold coins and dolla billz like Scrooge McDuck when it's worth even more monies. Don't judge me.
While my book tastes border on lame and lamer (please excuse the "lame" abuse), when it comes to movies I am all over that Wizard shi*...like white on rice on it...like spots on a leopard on it...like...ok, you get my drift...I love the Harry Potter Movies! Every. Single. One. Of. Them. It's a hearty love that sticks to the ribs, and I'm not embarrassed that I get more scared while watching them than most toddlers in the audience. They are INTENSE! In the best possible way. I can't wait to see the final installment "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2" which is sure to be an amazing, albeit emotional, ending to a great Potter Era. I will stuff my face with popcorn with dear friends. Maybe I'll wear a witch hat. Maybe I won't. Many costume ideas remain undecided, though one things for certain...yep, I will most definitely for sure without a doubt be donning a brooch. Maybe 2. Or 3, or 6.

Lookit these babays...They'z all growed up!



My dedication to the Harry Potter series is the "Jeepers Peepers" Brooch that is somewhat reminiscent of Hedwig, no?

2 comments: