Thursday, February 16, 2012

A Life, Simplified



Dear faithful reader(s),
In light of recent changes and developments, I am making drastic cutbacks in my life in the area of extra-curricular activities. The time to "buckle down" has come, and in order to maintain the equilibrium I thrive on, I have decided to no longer pursue my brooch/jewelry business.
I will continue to craft when time permits; especially now that I am moving mere blocks away from the wholesale mecca of Los Angeles(!!!). However, the time and energy that are necessary to make my one-woman-operation a successful and profitable one are no longer available.

I stand firm by my belief that the work we produce-- on any level-- is a reflection of who we are. But the end product is just one part of the equation. The process as a whole is what makes the difference.

Success in business-- and I'd even go further to say, in life-- relies on one's methodology. In today's modern world, it has never been easier to become a millionaire overnight, but the sustainability of wealth depends on a sturdy foundation and well-constructed plan, taking into account all possible problems and consequences. The quick path is not always the one that lasts, not to mention, one that is wholly fulfilling.

Maybe it's lame that I find the thrill of hard work paying off more rewarding than a quick fix with little-to-no effort. I'll never fully fit in to today's fast-paced society. Twitter's timeline literally gives me a migraine, and the plethora of information that's readily available absolutely anywhere-- don't even get me started. The lack of effort has filtered over into other areas of life, and it's a dangerous, slippery slope. We can reach anyone, anywhere, by sending a text, and we don't even have to write a sentence or complete word! It's absolutely maddening. Someday, a complete sentence, with correct grammar and punctuation, will be on the endangered species list. The journey is half the reward, but somewhere over the last decade, the "means" part got wiped out of the equation. Now it's all about the "end." This stubborn lady refuses to fully give in, even if it means riding solo.

So yes, my dears, I am revisiting a life, simplified. A time when social media didn't rule my life. A time when I relied on my brain rather than GPS and Wikipedia. A time when I wrote...and wrote...and wrote...as a way to express myself and fulfill creative curiosities brewing in my head. A time when I wasn't madly attempting to be a jack of all trades, master of none.

Without further ado...I am writing a book...3 books, actually... a trilogy. Ahhhh! It's scary. It's damn daunting. It's wicked ambitious. And I'm fucking excited. Woop! The concept is also being adapted into a screenplay. Partly because I think it will translate well, if not better, on screen, but mostly because I'm a control freak and can't bear the thought of the story not playing out the way I envision it in my head. It's allll miiiiine muahaha.

So there you have it, in a nutshell. I'll be starting a new blog shortly to focus solely on writing and post progress updates about the books. Stay tuned...xo

No comments:

Post a Comment