Thursday, May 5, 2011

A Toast to the Fifth day of May



Today is the first Thursday of May, 2011, which happens to be the fifth day of the month aka "Cinco De Mayo" and a beautiful one at that.
It is a day of recognition and celebration of Mexican heritage and pride. It is celebrated throughout the United States and regionally in Mexico, and usually ends in my little corner of the world with a few flipped over shot glasses that once contained tequila, chewed out limes, and me passed out on a couch...hopefully mine...one can dream right...

Yes, for many Americans, the real reason for celebration is sadly (but also happily) slighted by the celebration of Mexican fare and yes, that beloved spirit made from blue agave, or maybe a cerveza. Complete with a Mariachi band and maybe some Folklorico, you have yourself a real fiesta. 'Ole!

In honor of our southern neighbors, I will be donning the Ruby Rad brooch tonight as I sip on a margarita on the rocks with salt and attempt some Spanish...4 years of studying the foreign language in school and all I can seem to muster are rudimentary "si," "loco," "me llama es Chanel," and "el perro se comio mi tarea." Yes, I'm embarrassed. But by 9 pm, I doubt anyone will notice what language I'm speaking anyway...





No comments:

Post a Comment